[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 06:00:25 UTC 2016

In a message dated 1/12/2016 11:50:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wmmah at stoneledge.net writes:

I am  sorry.  I was far less than clear.  I was thinking about the  diocesan
policies that dictate how a retired rector and spouse must  separate
themselves from the community in which they have lived for forty  years or
more.>>>>>>>

A Dean of Christ Church Cathedral in Eau Claire had been such for
26 years when I began attending that church in 1970.  After a  couple
of years, he retired.  He had not lived in the deanery, and bought  a
home in Eau Claire.  There was a small suburban Episcopal Church
in Altoona, WI, but it was not his style, and he wound up attending  the
8 AM Low Mass at Christ Church by default.

The trouble was, he experienced the rapid onset of Alzheimer's, and
began mumbling comments about the sermon from his vantage at the
back of the cathedral nave.  The volume of these mumblings  increased
to the point of being very disturbing as he shouted such as "Lies!"
'Impossible!" and "Wrong, wrong wrong!"

It took the bishop and Standing Committee to get him to church in
nearby Menomonie, WI.  He lasted there another ten years.

David Strang.