[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 14 01:36:19 UTC 2016

David,

That is a major difference in polity between the RC and Episcopal Churches ( and I presume Byzantine Catholics)

RC's actively encourage retired pastors to become pastors emeriti and to remain active in their parishes but not on an administrative level.

I saw a service from Trinity Wall Street for Christmas and was happy to see the recently retired and formally titled rector emeritus sitting in the first pew with his spouse.

Maybe things have changed. At least they have become more human. The rector may not be on staff (as the pastor emeritus for Rc's is, if he wishes) but he may still be a welcome visitor to his retired ministry.

At St, Jude's in Marietta, where I substitute de temps en temps. I played for a wedding of the daughter of the Senior Warden w ho had inherited his position from Noah.

The rector emeritus was present with his wife as a guest in the congregation. He is still listed on the masthead as rector emeritus. St Jude's now has PIC.

In Chicago things were a little testy in the 60's when Cardinal Cody instituted mandatory retirement. At that time some pastors had been entrenched for well over 25 years and resisted retirement as late as their 90's

Joe

Joe