[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 12:19:31 UTC 2016

It occurred to me this morning that you might be referring to the rule that clergy not stay in the parish after they retire. I'm not sure about the requirement to continue attending Council; I have many friends who are glad to stop attending when they retire.

As for the other requirement, I think it's absolutely essential, especially when there has been a long tenure. And it doesn't mean you have to move; you just have to leave that church. And, of course, that's harder if you're in an area with few other Episcopal churches.
But it can be a real problem if a priest can't let go and continues to interfere. I know of two cases in my area where the interim had to get the bishop to intervene, because the previous rector continued to try to run things, albeit from the sidelines.
My home parish rector, on the other hand, retired after 27 years and stepped completely away from the parish. He and the new rector became friends and would occasionally have lunch. After the new rector had been there for about two years, he invited his predecessor and his wife to come back, and they now worship there with their kids and grandkids.

The other reason this is good is that it helps the congregation make the transition instead of continuing to call on their old rector for things.