[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Wed Jan 13 15:51:07 UTC 2016

This is an interesting contrast to the position in the CofE. The nearest
we have to "membership" (apart from Baptism and Confirmation) is having
one's name on the Church Electoral Roll which entitles you to vote at
the Annual Parochial Church mneeting and eligible to be elected to
office either to the Parochial Church Council (Vestry). The clergy
cannot have their names on the Chuch Electoral Roll, but if licensed to
serve in the parish they are ex officio members of the vestry. Clergy
who are not licenced but simply have the Bishop's Permission to
Officiate can be invited to join the vestry.
On retirement  clergy a very strongly discouraged from remaining in the
parish(es) which they have served and indeed if they seek help from the
church to find retirement residence they cannot normally get help to
live in their former parish. Retired clergy are strongly encouraged NOT
to continue their association with the parishes they served.
When I retire next year, I will live, at present I know not where, but I
will not enter any of the parish churches or even parishes in which I
have served for almost 20 years unless I am specifically invited by the
new parish priest. That I believe is the only proper way for me in the
interests of the parishes and any successor. I do hope and expect to be
given permission to officiate in whatever parish and diocese in which I
make my new home.
My "home parish" (in Grace's terms) from which I went to my ordination
training is no more - the church was closed many years ago. I suppose
the nearest thing I have to a "home" parish in those terms would be the
parish in which I was baptised as a 3 month old baby - but where I never
attended worship (except, I suppose, when I attended my sister's baptism
when I was 7)

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name

Rector of Boylestone, Church Broughton, Dalbury, Longford, Long Lane, Sutton-on-the-Hill & Trusley

Diocese of Derby, England