[Magdalen] Retired clergy (was Re: Epiphany)

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 01:52:18 UTC 2016

In a message dated 1/13/2016 7:50:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
susanvhagen at gmail.com writes:

It may  be hard but it is essential for the health of the parish when
the former  rector has been impaired.  The alcoholic rector of my
parish did not  retire willingly and had to scraped loose like a
barnacle.  Even two  tenures later he kept trying to come back and
interfere.  Others  mileage may vary of course.
Susan>>>>>>

We had a small discussion a few years ago on list about how many
divorces are now permitted to TEC clergy.  At least in TEC  Diocese
of Eau Claire, it was two.  I gather it varies from diocese to  diocese.
It was permitted there to have the two divorces, but when the  clergyman
attempted to marry a third time, it was no dice.

Recently, an Episcopal priest in this area was removed after his
second alcohol slip.  I get the impression that some thought that  was
a bit severe.  I have no strong opinion about this issue at any  rate.
I have a feeling, though, that this also varies from place to place.

David Strang.