[Magdalen] Curse on Masons

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 06:09:55 UTC 2016

​
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Sibyl Smirl <polycarpa3 at ckt.net> wrote:

> Then there was the association with the Knights Templars, whom the Church
> and its Inquisition had convicted of Satanism, Demon Worship, and other
> sorcery.  Jacque DeMolay, whose name should be familiar to Masons, among
> others, was burned at the stake for such. (Not saying that they were
> guilty, but Rome believed that they were).

The drama about Demolay was written for the initiation of boys, and I've
never felt it had much historical basis. We don't have records to tell what
transpired, but there is no demonstrable connection at all between the
Templars and Masonry. I think our advisor at one time flat out stated as
much.  It's just a really gripping ritual for kids.​
​

> Daughter of a 32º Scottish Rite Shriner and an Eastern Star, one-time
> Rainbow Girl.  My husband and his best friend were also 32º, and took those
> horrendous oaths about secrets very seriously indeed.
> --
> Sibyl Smirl
> I will take no bull from your house!  Psalms 50:9a
> ​ [mistranslation in RSV]​

We all knew the oaths were not literal, and that such things would not be
visited on us. Obviously that is irrelevant to taking the oaths seriously.
Similarly, I know the myths in scripture aren't historically true, but
obviously that doesn't mean I do not take them seriously!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
​