[Magdalen] Curse on Masons

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 06:47:30 UTC 2016

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​...​
>
> The parishioner, a well-meaning and sincere man in his late 70's, is always
> very concerned about deliverance from evil spirits and that kind of
> thing--was  involved in that kind of ministry when he was a member of Truro
> Church in Fairfax, VA, some years ago.
>
> He wanted to know if I knew of anyone who would know how to banish the
> curse placed on Masons and their descendants by the Catholic Church. I was
> completely clueless, had never heard of that, said I didn't know of anyone
> offhand, and in any case, I doubted that the curse, which was apparently
> put in place generations ago, would still be in effect. But I did tell him
> I'd see what I could find out.

​Assuming the gentleman will just assume if anyone tries to tell him there
is no curse, he'll just assume we're godless atheists, I wonder if, as a
last ditch, he will believe it if the Roman Church tells him.

Here is a link to a good source:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09771a.htm

This will take you to a rather lengthy article in the RCC encyclopedia on
the subject of Masonry.

Once you get to that page: press <Ctrl> F
in the upper righthand corner, a small window opens.  In that window, type
"curse"
It should give two possibilities.  Go to the second one. This clarifies
that there is in fact no curse.

Another source of the same document, but perhaps easier to get to:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia_(1913)/Masonry_(Freemasonry)
My advice about the <Ctrl> F is good for this site as well as the other.

I had been trying to find a better source, owing to how this one is so old
(The Catholic Encyclopedia was produced from ca. 1900 to 1915), but it
occurs to me that your friend might actually be impressed to know that way
back at the opening of the twentieth century, before he was even born, the
official policy of the Catholic Church was, "NO, there ain't no curse!"

Is it possible that a kind and understanding local Catholic priest might be
willing to sit with the man and assure him that there is no such curse?

​