[Magdalen] TEC suspended from Anglican Communion

F von Prondzynski F.von-Prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Sat Jan 16 10:26:16 UTC 2016

Marion Thompson wrote:

>WOW WOW WOW!!!  I'm late to this story.  They've suspended the wrong
>people, but are we surprised?  Not a bit of it.   I hope we will stand
>shoulder to shoulder with TEC.  I see no use in the Communion at all.
>The days when we got all misty about the whole world using the same BCP
>all over the world on Sundays are long gone!

I do absolutely understand the anger felt in the US Episcopal Church over
this, and I think an horrendous mistake has been made (now if the
suspension has ben suggested because the US church insists on calling
itself TEC I might have been more sympathetic:)

But I don't agree with Marion's implied view that there is no point to the
Anglican Communion, or that a shared worldwide liturgical framework has no
meaning. I think it does.

My own view would be that a split has been inevitable for some time, and
that both Rowan Williams and Justin Welby have humoured the Africans (or
some of them) far too much. I would have said let them go their own way.

Ferdinand