[Magdalen] Sander's Accent.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 18 17:24:41 UTC 2016

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>Well, Brooklyn is on Long Island.

Tourists may think so, but if you say that, say, in Suffolk County, you're
asking for a punch in da nose.

>New England accent at any rate, the latter being my primary point.

How so?  Old timer locals  out east on Long Island (east of Riverhead and east
of the Shinnecock Canal) always spoke with a distinctive New England accent.
Some still do, but the younger generation as been subsumed.

Before the days of cable, the "local" TV stations were in New Haven, Providence
and New Bedford.  The New Haven station even had a news bureau in Riverhead,
which I would visit when I worked at WRIV in the mid 60s..

Lack of  the local New England accent was the way the locals could tell the
tourists, the nouveau riche and the poseurs. Some still do. And it often affects
the prices people pay for things in the Hamptons <g>.

Cheers,
Jim

David Strang.