[Magdalen] The Theology of Clerical Beards

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 22 21:04:10 UTC 2016

>>>Geez, I have been bearded for more than forty years.  Every now and then, I
spot someone giving me an odd look and it has never bothered me before.
Now, thanks to Molly, I am going to wonder - - "do they think my beard
looks like inadequate pubic hair?"  Before now, I didn't even know there
was such a thing.<<<

If you've had one that long, chances are it's not the sort Molly is referring to.  The look, at least for me, is in the "hey look at that old man with the beard" category.  (To the Young of the Western World, a "beard" anything other than the Don Johnson look that Molly says gets her crank turning, is a beard to be marveled at, or ridiculed, depending.)

The best beard response I've ever had was a few months ago (and forgive me if I've told this story before) from a slightly Downs girl who works as a bagger at Nob Hill.  As Fall was approaching, she went out of her way to tell the checker, repeatedly, that she still believes in Santa Claus.  (She's in her 20s at least.)  As she was rolling my cart toward me at the conclusion, she made a point of leaning in very close to me, eyes meeting mine, and clearly enunciated "I really do believe."  Before the night was out I'd done one of my occasional trims.