[Magdalen] British actors (was Clerical Beards)

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:41:25 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> North American, Australian, South African, and New Zealand
> English stand up to RP just fine and sound good on their
> own merits.

I guess I start feeling all inferior when a UK person seems quietly
amused by the way I said something. I don't like the way we (here in
the midwest, anyway) tend to underpronounce everything, and what I
like about UK speakers of English (and many Canadians and some others)
is that they fully pronounce their words. No d's for t's, dropped
final consonants, etc. The way Lise Doucette of the BBC speaks (often
heard also on NPR) has always intrigued me, as she's North American
(Accadian ancestry; Atlantic Canada) but fully pronounces her
consonants. I used to think she was affecting this until I read about
her background.

When I speak in church, such as leading Evening Prayer on Wednesdays,
I make sure my final consonants are coming through, and I may be
influenced by the usual participation of the celebrant for the Mass to
follow, our priest-associate who is an Englishman (from Oldham near
Manchester) so while I don't match his accent, I do pronounce things
more clearly.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA