[Magdalen] British actors (was Clerical Beards)

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 01:34:56 UTC 2016

I remember chatting with a former classmate of mine I hadn't seen in
years; he had gone off to a UK university and one in NYC for grad
school (NYU, I think) and had become quite well spoken and a bit above
us all, but it was still good to see him. Until he laughed out loud to
hear my surname pronounced "Nidder." "It just sounds funny to me now,
that it wouldn't be "Nitter" (which he pronounced quite fully, with
the t's intact). I sort of stood there in amazement and could only
think, "What an a**h***." I can't imagine having the huevos necessary
to laugh at how someone pronounces their own name.

Some of my German professors pronounced my surname the German way,
with the K and the t's intact, and the r in the throat somewhere. That
was fine with me. They weren't being a**h***s and I'm sure would have
complied had I requested they say "Nidder."

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA