[Magdalen] Leaving...

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:20:23 UTC 2016

Regarding the size of our vestry: a few plaques on the walls of the
church attest to the oligarchy which held sway over St. James for the
first-half of the twentieth century. "XXX, forty years a vestryman of
this church, twenty-four its senior warden," and "xxxx thirty-five years
a vestryman of this church, fourteen its senior warden," etc., etc. Most
of those families are still represented, at least by name (or maiden
name), today. Hence, "their name is known."

As I understand (before my time), in the late 1960s, early 1970s there
was an uprising, and the seemed-sensible-at-the-time solution was to
increase the size of the vestry to get some fresh voices heard.
Interestingly, St. James also "sent out" two other parishes during that
period, but these old families didn't want to serve *there* (closer, in
actuality, to where they lived); they had to be "leaders" at St. James,
downtown between the banking and law offices.

Our current ASA is 300-350; about 1000 are on the rolls, I believe.

Peace,
Jo

On 01/24/2016 4:35 PM, Roger Stokes wrote:
> On 24/01/2016 21:22, Scott Knitter wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Grace Cangialosi
>> <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I can't even imagine a vestry that large--sounds like a nightmare!
>>> I'm not
>>> sure, but I think vestries here are limited to 12--I'd have to check
>>> our
>>> canons.  I know they can't be smaller than 3.  The two churches I