[Magdalen] Leaving...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 24 22:35:18 UTC 2016

On 24/01/2016 21:22, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't even imagine a vestry that large--sounds like a nightmare! I'm not
>> sure, but I think vestries here are limited to 12--I'd have to check our
>> canons.  I know they can't be smaller than 3.  The two churches I served
>> had 5 on their vestries, and even at that, we had trouble getting folks to
>> serve.  But 5 was quite large enough!
> I think in Michigan a vestry could have 9, 12, or 15 members. Most had
> 12. Ours in Chicago does as well.

In England the size of the Church Councul is laid down by a formula.
The wardens and those elected to deanery or a higher synod are on ex
officio.  The number of other members is giverned by a formula - 6 for
up to 50 members, 9 for 51-100 members and 3 more for every 100 or part
thereof beyond that but parishes can increase that if they choose.
Given that the deanery synod reps may include one or both wardens I
would guess the typical size would be 12-15 people, the lower end of
that range making for a more cohesive and business-orientated group.
Smaller churches will tend to have small Councils, partly for the reason
Grace gives of a reluctance to serve.  A lot of our parishes have less
than 50 members and will share a priest with others and they may well
struggle to get the two wardens plus 6 elected members.

Roger