[Magdalen] Lutheran-Catholic Concordat.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 28 02:15:52 UTC 2016

I happened  to be at St Gerard Majella in Markham during that controversy. I had been on the Consultation for Ecumenical Hymnody since the early 70's and we met with both the ELCa and LCMS committee members along with many other denominational members. I still remember ELCA's rep was Mandus Egge and the LCMS representative was Theo DeLaney and they were both working on what came to be the Green Book. By the time I arrived In Markham later in the decade I can become very friendly with the pastor of Markham Lutheran Church or the Church of the Cross a block away.They had ordered LBW but just too late. So they decided not to order the LCMS book and continued to use the Green Book as long as I knew them. Of course both hymnals have been republished.

There are many more Scandinavian  hymns in LBW which I believe have been kept in its successor. The German Chorales in their rhythmic version are preserved in the LCMS hymnal. I've gotten used to them, but I used to think of them as hard to sing.

I believe the 150 hymns we believed should be standard in all hymnals still stands. I think we decided on a supplemental list. I certainly learned a lot about hymns with that experience. I credit my organ teacher Edward Eigenschenck with getting me hooked on hymns.

Joe