[Magdalen] Lutheran-Catholic Concordat.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:24:10 UTC 2016

In East Lansing (East Cupcake), we had an LCMS chaplaincy called
Martin Luther Chapel, and it seemed quite liberal at least
liturgically. When the green Lutheran Book of Worship was published
and the LCMS had pulled out of that project and made their own blue
Lutheran Worship hymnal, Martin Luther Chapel made a point of sticking
with the LBW, and in general has operated much like an ELCA church.
Quite unlike the big LCMS church in Rochester, Michigan, where I grew
up, where one Sunday when I was visiting (it happened to be
Reformation Sunday), the pastor started his sermon by addressing the
congregation as "Sons of the Reformation!" Oh, brother.

Valparaiso University, near here in northern Indiana, is a Lutheran
institution not tied to one denomination. I gather they figured
prominently in the tussles when Seminex was formed. Anyway, they're
often in hot water with the LCMS over things like ecumenical services
in the chapel involving Muslim and Jewish leaders.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA