[Magdalen] Images and words about Mary

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 29 19:29:52 UTC 2016

On 29/01/2016 18:13, Sally Davies wrote:
> But there are aspects, brought out by some of these contributors, that
> annoy me so much I can scarcely stand to look at them. Such as, the world
> of misogyny and anti-humanism implicit in notions such as "unstained", or
> "undefiled". YECHH!!
>
> What the heck does any of that mean? If Mary was "unstained by original
> sin" then who was that person who fully identified with her people in the
> joyous explosion of the Magnificat? Not a perfect woman, just a very young
> human who gave her whole heart to the purposes of God.

I detect a little illogicality in the dogma of the Immaculate
Conception.  *If* mary had to be free of original sin in order to bear
the totally sinless Jesus why put the break in transmission at that
point?  If Mary could not bear that taint then how did she not receive
it from her parents some years before the Annunciation? Wouldn't it be
more sensible to say that the break in transmission occurred with Mary's
response to the angel's call and her spiritual anointing at that point?

Roger