[Magdalen] Images and words about Mary

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:59:51 UTC 2016

Mary's virginal state was perhaps more important during that era (of several
centuries at least) when virgins gave birth to some mythic and 'real'
figures.... the virginity gave their  the status of their offspring  huge
credence.  Probably heresy to think that the church polished up the
virgin-status to add to Jesus' importance probably after the Constantinean
'take over'.  Just sayin'.

Mary's 'undefiled' born-without-sin state was conferred by a Pope in the
19Century I believe. (yup)

(google search commenced)  the Pope made the declaration on December 8,
1854. The essential definition was:

""We declare, pronounce and define that the doctrine which holds that the
Blessed Virgin Mary, at the first instant of her conception, by a singular
privilege and grace of the Omnipotent God, in virtue of the merits of Jesus
Christ, the Savior of mankind, was preserved immaculate from all stain of
original sin, has been revealed by God, and therefore should firmly and
constantly be believed by all the faithful.[34]

               George Tavard has commented on the definition:

The positive point of the definition links the Immaculate Conception of Mary
to the merits of Christ that would have been applied to her by anticipation
or retroactively. The Son's merits flowed back upon the mother, not in the
irreversible temporality of history but in the sovereign mind of God the
Creator who makes all creatures what they are. This perspective derives from
John Duns Scotus's remarkable insight. What was, with John Duns Scotus, a
hypothesis that contradicted the theology of all his predecessors, is
introduced in the Catholic faith...It is the Creator, and not the conditions
of the world or the sinful behavior of ancestors, that gives being to each
creature. A parallel is thus implied between the virginal conception of
Jesus and the immaculate conception of Mary.[35]""

read more.... waaaaay more @
http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/kimmac.html

Actually some very interesting stuff at the beginning. The Pope info is only
a few paragraphs  in as well.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck