[Magdalen] Angry DT.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 12 21:33:35 UTC 2016

On 12/07/2016 20:50, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> And with so much "leftward" support, if Hillary-Bernie won it would nearly guarantee (as it so often does, historically) a totally Dem Congress once again, thanks to down-ticket influence.  But then 2018 would roll around, as it did in 2010 and 2014, and all could be for bust, again.  But an interesting question is, if DT doesn't win and the GOP remains as divided and near-demoralized as it seems to be now and potentially in future, could it actually muster enough strength to take Congress back again as in earlier times?  Right now, I'd say No.

Isn't part of the issue that the Republicans control most state
legislatures since 2010 and so directed the redistricting after that
year's Census.  This gives them an inbuilt bias so that the Democrats
would need to have a significant majority of the popular vote to secure
a majority in the House. Absent that majority then stalemate could
continue for the next Presidential term unless the Republicans accept
their responsibility to actually be an active part of government,
challenging the Executive and seeking to amend proposals but not being
the Party of No..

> I reiterate my hope and desire for a revitalized GOP someday.  And especially so after watching and listening to Jeb last night being interviewed on MSNBC.  As it stands, the poor man is actually planning to not vote for anyone at all for president this go-round.  Sad.

Speaking from this side of the pond where Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition
seems to be in melt-down I have to agree that a strong democracy needs a
government and a credible alternative.

Roger