[Magdalen] Today, PCP appt.

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:40:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 6:43 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Maybe get a second opinion.  I was told similar by one physician
> neurologist and then was starting with a new MD because my GP retired. We
> discussed this and he said he had no problem with my continuing to take the
> other medication. I don't take it very often, but when I do it's a
> lifesaver. Glad I didn't just accept the first opinion without a quibble.

Am a little reluctant to do this for a couple of reasons. He only took me
off the Imitrex after I spent a week in hospital with internal bleeding (am
also a warfarin user). Main concern is a clot forming above the greenfield
filter I have. The preventive he has me taking works for the most part.
Only 1 bad episode in the last 6 years.

As background, the VA started me on statins in the early 2000's. Within a
couple on months is when my trouble with neuropathy began. I raised the
issue with my doctor who told me there was no connection. He referred me to
a neurologist at the Little Rock VA who concurred. I was still an actice
teacher at the time; the drive to Little Rock meant taking a day of sick
leave each time so I had my local dr find me a neurologist closer where I
could get by with 1/2 day off. The first one he found was good but he moved
in 6 months and his replacement was a joke. I asked each successive
neurologist this same question about side effects and always got the same
answer. When I again asked for another neurologist, I ended up with my
present one. My first visit, he looked at my med list and asked me "if you
have neuropathy, why are you taking statins? He had my local dr find me an
alternative (ended up using fish oil and niacin).

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted