[Magdalen] Happy Saint Benedict's Day

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 14 16:33:46 UTC 2016

>>>Like John XXIII, Francis can only do so much.<<<

I certainly understand the JXXIII phenomenon, and how Francis is working even harder to build on that legacy.  In no way a bad thing.  But, as a recovered Roman Maniac Indie Priest Turned Virtual Episcopal Atheist, I have a hard time believing that constantly engendering hope in the breasts of those who want the Roman Church to start actually being a church rather than a medievalist society, is a Good Thing.  Hope all they want, Rome qua Rome (meaning, some sort of "protestant" break-off may do something different some century in the future) is never, ever, going to:

- ordain women
- ordain, marry, or treat as pure equals, LGBTQ persons
- allow divorced & remarried Romans full access to the sacraments
- allow Protestants to inter-commune
- etc.

Don't get me wrong:  I took a couple days off work last year to watch a goodly chunk of Francis's visit to the US.  He's a good pope.  And definitely speaks words of hope to the hopeful.  That get walked back within 48 hours.