[Magdalen] Candles Galore.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 14:18:59 UTC 2016

A local tree trimming crew (Asplundh), working for the power company
PPL= Pennsylvania Power & Light, managed to prune away the main
electrical lines supplying about 500 homes here in our development.
Thus, from 5 PM to 12:30 AM we were without power.  I suspect  that
some of those tree trimmers lost their jobs over that error.

In any case, this outage, or as Wilfred says, "outrage," reminds us
how very dependent we are on electric power.  We bedecked the house  in
candles so that it looked like Christmas Eve, or even the set for a
romantic
liaison on a soap opera, but there was still no computer, television,  and
reading for the evening.

The dogs staggered about looking at the candles with a sort of "what  the
hell" look.  They knew something was wrong, but not quite what  was
wrong.

It was also a very humid, hot evening, quite atypical for us in the
mountains,
and, of course, no air conditioning.  We are really spoiled.   Although I
got
a fair night's sleep after the power came back, I'm still wandering  about
a little disoriented this morning.  I find that as I get into my  senior
years,
I do not do well in the dark or the dim light.  In fact, it's a rather
dangerous
time for oldsters, and I pretty much stayed put all evening.  The  candles
did help.  Candlemas has nothing on us.

David Strang.