[Magdalen] How?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Jul 22 23:28:17 UTC 2016

On 7/22/16 5:28 PM, Roger Stokes wrote:
> On 22/07/2016 22:47, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
>> On 7/22/16 1:50 PM, F von Prondzynski wrote:
>>> I am currently on vacation in the US, and have had to get used to the
>>> different terminology again. What Americans call a sandwich would not
>>> normally qualify in the British Isles. And yesterday I ordered
>>> something with a ‘biscuit’ and got something entirely unexpected.
>>>

>> Oh, what is a "butty", a "cheese butty" or a "bacon butty"?  Is that
>> some kind of sandwich?  Or is the terminology entirely Liverpudlian,
>> and not widespread UK?
> It may have started in Merseyside but I think it is at least understood
> more widely now, particularly in the sense of the unhealthy chip butty.
> A butty is a sandwich of two slices of a standard loaf with the filling
> betweem.  In the case of a chip butty the filling would be chips -
> french fries in buttered bread though I suspect they are normally in a
> bun rather than using regular sliced bread.  Other sorts of sandwiches
> could be in that form as well and Joan would sometimes talk of her early
> days as a postgraduate student going into a shop, pointing at the salad
> sandwich bun she wanted and being asked in a thibk Liverpool accent "You
> wany a barm?" without being able to understand it.

Thank you, Roger.  Sounds to me like a normal basic home-kitchen
sandwich, although I've never heard of one with potatoes of any kind
between the bread.  I guess the "butty" comes from "butter" for the
moistening spread?  My husband always wanted margarine for his, not
mayonnaise, catsup or mustard or anything like that (oddly, one of the
several odd things about him, he didn't like the taste of real butter!)

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net