[Magdalen] How?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 22 22:28:18 UTC 2016

On 22/07/2016 22:47, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
> On 7/22/16 1:50 PM, F von Prondzynski wrote:
>> I am currently on vacation in the US, and have had to get used to the
>> different terminology again. What Americans call a sandwich would not
>> normally qualify in the British Isles. And yesterday I ordered
>> something with a ‘biscuit’ and got something entirely unexpected.
>>

> Oh, what is a "butty", a "cheese butty" or a "bacon butty"?  Is that
> some kind of sandwich?  Or is the terminology entirely Liverpudlian,
> and not widespread UK?
It may have started in Merseyside but I think it is at least understood
more widely now, particularly in the sense of the unhealthy chip butty.
A butty is a sandwich of two slices of a standard loaf with the filling
betweem.  In the case of a chip butty the filling would be chips -
french fries in buttered bread though I suspect they are normally in a
bun rather than using regular sliced bread.  Other sorts of sandwiches
could be in that form as well and Joan would sometimes talk of her early
days as a postgraduate student going into a shop, pointing at the salad
sandwich bun she wanted and being asked in a thibk Liverpool accent "You
wany a barm?" without being able to understand it.

Roger