[Magdalen] Fwd: Whither to lie and to lay?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:27:45 UTC 2016

I used to think I knew the difference but recently heard a contrary
explanation (especially of the past tense, such as "I lay down and
then fell asleep."

So now I feel I'm on thin ice with my own understanding. Is it this?

Lay implies motion; lie implies a stationary state - Lay down over
there, and then lie there for a few minutes.

Past: I lay there for an hour and then woke up.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA