[Magdalen] Corporate Speak, was Whither to lie and to lay?

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:18:28 UTC 2016

Some time ago I came across an amusing antidote for ​corporate speak. I
wouldn't suggest actually trying this, but it's pretty funny. It's called
Bullshit Bingo.

Falling Asleep in Meetings?

Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars?

What about those long and boring conference calls?

Here's a way to change all of that.

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar,

or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a

square. I find that 5" x 5" is a good size.

Divide the card into columns--five across and

five down. That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.

2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:

* synergy

* strategic fit

* core competencies

* best practice

* bottom line

* revisit

* expeditious

* to tell you the truth (or "the truth is")

* 24/7

* out of the loop

* benchmark

* value-added

* proactive

* win-win

* think outside the box

* fast track

* result-driven

* empower (or empowerment)

* knowledge base

* at the end of the day

* touch base

* mindset

* client focus(ed)

* paradigm

* game plan

* leverage

3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of

those words/phrases.

4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or

diagonally, stand up and shout "BULLSHIT!"

--

Christopher Hart