[Magdalen] For those of us US'ers (& maybe even Canadians)...

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 19:15:12 UTC 2016

The three Rs are pretty much all that was taught in the 19th century
schoolhouse.

We've added a few subjects since then.

When I was in the public school (beyond sixth grade, which was pretty much
the outer limit of public education at the time of the Civil War), we had
classes in music and art, carpentry and cooking and sewing, which would
have been learned in the home a century before.

One of my heroes, William Lloyd Garrison, learned to write (wriiting, not
penmanship) when his mother apprenticed him to a printer. He was thirteen
years old and it was his second apprenticeship (his shipwright gig didn't
work out).
-M,