[Magdalen] cisgender???

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 18:50:38 UTC 2016

In a message dated 6/15/2016 2:38:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,   writes:

My Latin  teachers, now conjugating in heaven, would have pronounced this
> word  "kiss." I understand the church Latin people have prevailed,
however,
>  so it's probably pronounced "siss" or something.
> -M

My Latin teacher would also have done the "kiss"  pronunciation,
which I believe is academic German Latin.

And yes, Italianate Latin, IOW pronouncing Latin as though it were
Italian, was "imposed" by the RCC in the 1920's.  Not that the  French,
Germans, or British have paid any attention.

So in Italianate Latin the "cis" is more like "chees."

David Strang - Just listening to a French composer's Gloria:
"glo-ri-A in excelsis de-O.