[Magdalen] Brexit Leave-ers win.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 24 07:44:13 UTC 2016

On 24/06/2016 05:57, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> did some googling based on what a FB friend of a FB friend posted on
> my page and found this which seems to indicate the the results of the
> referendum are not necessarily binding and can be reviewed by
> Parliament.  Even the article seems valid but somewhat unclear.
> Lynn
>
> http://www.businessinsider.com/green-eu-referendum-not-legally-binding-brexit-2016-6

It is certainly an interesting article.  Greenland is the only country
that joined and then left the EU and apparently the negotiations over
their future relationship lasted 3 years.  The UK ahs a more complex
economy and has been part of the EU for longer so it is likely that the
negotiations would take sugnificantly longer, which is an argument for
not invoking Article 50 yet. There will also need to be Parliamentary
scruting of any future relationship with the EU and Sallt raised some
interesting points, to which I will reply in a few moments.

What is certain is that much of the Leave campaign was based in
misinformation such as how much we pat into the EU budget.  They
promoted the gross figure, ignoring the rebate we get and the amount
that comes back in the way of grants ofr farmers, etc.  They also did
not mention the fact that we will still need to have various rules and
regulations to repalce European ones - which we will still need to abide
by if we are to export goods to continental Europe. I'm afraid that
older voters' have tended to hark back to the past and voted with their
heart, hankering after the Golden Age that never was, rather than their
head, thinking of the realities.

Roger, an older voter whodid look at the realities and voted acordingly.

Roger