[Magdalen] Brexit 2nd vote?

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Sun Jun 26 13:35:36 UTC 2016

If my understanding is right, then the position is that if a Government
cannot get parliamentary approval for something which they consider an
essential matter, then they can seek to have a general election. In
this, the matter in question would be a major subject in the election
campaign. If the government won the election, then they would have the
power to claim it was a manifesto matter and demand parliamentary
approval. Had the UK Parliament been asked to make the decision about
membership of the EU without a referendum, then I believe that we would
have been remaining - but David Cameron chose to have the referendum
partly to satisfy rebels in the conservative party.

If I remember correctly, back in the early 1970's Edward Heath wanted to
introduce laws curbing some of the powers of Trade Unions. He went for a
General Election and lost - so the incoming Labour government ensured
his proposals were not allowed to proceed.

Referendums are very rare in the UK: I believe I am right in saying that
we have had only three national ones:- the first re membership of the
European Common Market in 1975 (approval given); the second re amending
the election rules to allow a form of proportional representation
(rejected); the third  - the one held last week.

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name

Rector of Boylestone, Church Broughton, Dalbury, Longford, Long Lane, Sutton-on-the-Hill & Trusley

Diocese of Derby, England