[Magdalen] Rose is a Rose.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 16:39:51 UTC 2016

In a message dated 3/7/2016 11:16:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wmmah at stoneledge.net writes:

This is  Virginia!  21st century Virginia, but Virginia still:  stole  over
alb.>>>>>

My experience of clergy and laity alike in TEC and the ELCA is that
before Vatican-2, most wore cassocks, surplices and stole for every
liturgical function.

Other's here with experience in both or either denomination extending
back that far may have other ideas.

This is also true of RC laity in duties in the sanctuary.  Servers,  all
boys,
of course, wore cassocks and a short surplice (the cotta) without  stoles.
RC Clergy wore the cassock, stole, and chasuble for the Eucharist,  but
cassock, surplice, and stole for other functions.

Then came Vatican-2, and the multiplicity of albs.  Everyone in  the
sanctuary, it seems, wears an alb.  It is almost the ticket of  entrance to
the holy of holy's.  I've read solemn articles describing the alb as  the
prime Eucharistic vestment, so I guess use of albs parallels the  ascendency
of the Eucharist as the prime Sunday worship, at least in TEC and  ELCA.

I personally get just a little tired of albs, especially in the attached
amise/
alb vestments.  The traditional form with alb, cincture, and amise is
better,
especially the monastic form with the hood type amise IMO.

David Strang.....who remembers putting on the traditional amise for  duties
as subdeacon, and wearing the tunicle.