[Magdalen] Invites

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:55:32 UTC 2016

Agreed. Also, there seem to be a lot of inanimate means of
transportation, such as trains and buses, suddenly having lots of
experiences. Oh, the stories they could tell...

"The CTA Red Line is experiencing delays at Belmont station due to
signal and switch problems." "Express bus routes are experiencing
detours due to the car on fire on Lake Shore Drive." What's wrong with
"Red Line trains are delayed at Belmont..." and "Express buses are
being diverted from Lake Shore Drive..."? I'd say the passengers are
having the experiences, not the rail line or bus routes. I've written
to the CTA on this, to no avail.

Then there's the corporate-speak "net-net," meaning "in summary," or
"the result is." Dumb. "So, net-net, we won't have to hire any more
grammarians."

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA