[Magdalen] Joan Baez

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 15:36:57 UTC 2016

In a message dated 3/15/2016 9:17:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

sang in  many a concert myself there at the Stock Pavilion (usually
referred to by  the locals as the Cow Palace), from grade school on
up....all-city music  festivals, UW Summer Music Clinic concerts, etc., etc.
It was a great  venue!>>>>>>>>

I sang in the University Chorus there for performances of the Brahms
Requiem and the Stravinski Symphony of Psalms.  I can still  remember
the chill up my spine at the sound of the big chorus, "Behold All  Flesh
Is As The Grass" in the Brahms with the Pavilion acoustics.

I credit singing the Stravinski with whetting my appetite for more
"modern" music in general, even though the discordance of the  Symphony
of Psalms is mild compared to that of some other composers.  One  has
to start somewhere.

The Stravinski "Le Sacre du Printemps" was another push in that  direction.
I had a recording of this on 78 rpm, and on the other side was that  little
gem, "Variations on a Theme from Carl Marie Von Weber." and it
started me on the Hindemith bandwagon.

Why is it that two of my great heroes are stern, rather foreboding
older German men?  (The other is Mies van der Rohe, the  architect).

Did God deliver Sacred Scripture in German?

David Strang.