[Magdalen] Sacred Triduum?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:10:39 UTC 2016

I think Fr. Gerth was mainly playing with the idea that the terms for
our liturgies are amply provided in the BCP and it's interesting to
note terms that we've somehow imported from elsewhere (perhaps for
good reason). Our parish uses lots of what we assume are traditional
Catholic terms for things: "Low Mass," "Solemn High Mass," "Pontifical
Solemn Requiem," and whatever. If we stuck with the BCP terms, our
daily services would be "Daily Morning Prayer," "The Holy Eucharist,"
and "Daily Evening Prayer." The BCP does acknowledge "Mass" as a term
but doesn't distinguish between low, sung, and solemn as we continue
to do (and our ceremonial sticks with the traditional understandings
of those). I think "Triduum" is a useful term and the idea that it's
really one big liturgy, which is why the Maundy Thursday and Good
Friday liturgies are left without a conclusion but all depart in
silence until the continuation of the Triduum the next day. The BCP
doesn't explicitly say that or use the term, but it doesn't prevent it
either.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA