[Magdalen] Spring has sprung?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 15:15:15 UTC 2016

I'm seeing various pictures mostly taken on the While House lawns
in connection with the new candidate for USSC justice, Merrick  Garland.
There appear to be strongly budding trees and shrubs, and just now
the unmistakable blossoms of an Asian Magnolia, probably a  Saucer
Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana).

It always amazes me how much further along the spring (almost) season
is in Washington, DC than it is here in NE Pennsylvania.  Washington  is
about a 4 hour drive, but it is, significantly, all straight south.   Then
there
is the higher PA elevation factor.  In any case, my Asian magnolias  will
not be blooming for another 3-4 weeks, unless there is some freaky
warm weather ahead.  Though snow is predicted over this coming  weekend,
the winter has been remarkable mild here.  Some of the coldest and  snowiest
weather on record for this region has been during the next couple of  weeks.

Spring blooming Asian magnolias are a reason for me to remain in PA
in retirement.  They are, for example, not hardy in the Upper  Midwest
of my youth, and the magnolias as a group are ravishingly beautiful.

Think spring!

David Strang.