[Magdalen] A concert series for children

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 03:00:35 UTC 2016

We had just arrived at school, and the teacher welcomed a student into the
classroom. she apparently routinely welcomes people who have arrived at
school but a have a bit of time before classes begin. This young man wanted
to try to earn his yellow belt in recorder.  As we watched and agonized
through it, Manuel tried repeatedly to get through the little tune he
needed to master, and his teacher, in a no-big-deal way, said that of
course he had to get it absolutely perfect in order to get credit.  I felt
kind of bad for him, of course, but he just put his recorder away and went
to his assigned classroom.

A day or so after we got home, the teacher sent an email to thank us again,
especially me, since I travelled furthest, and she also noted that the day
after we were there, Manuel came in and passed his yellow belt.  Go,
Manuel!!

I told the teacher to please pass on to Manuel our congratulations.

Will he be another Frans Bruggen? There's no way to tell, but I do know
that this is one small way we oppose the continuing dumbing down of music
in America.  If we don't do it, I dread the pathetic excuse for music we'll
have in this putative country in another couple generations.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford