[Magdalen] A4 long booklet, help please

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:28:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Roger Stokes <
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> A4 is nbot a paper size in common use in the USA.  It is, in portrait
> mode, 210mm wide by 297mm long.  Ian wants to have a booklet which is 105mm
> wide by 297mm long - tall and thin to (I guess) fit along a pew shelf such
> as is common in English churches. MSWord bookfold setting appears to only
> allow formatting the other way, printinh on the paper in landscape mode so
> you end up with a more conventionally sized booklet 210mm tall and 148mm
> wide. Judging from comments on a UK-based list there is no sinhle-stage way
> pf producing what he wants.

Open Office and Libre Office (related freeware programs that will save in
Word, Word Perfect, and other common programs, allow you to format however
many columns you want in either landscape or portrait. We do our weekly
service leaflet on tabloid paper (11" x 17"), 3 columns to each side. (you
can set the margin size between columns to allow for folding). (You also
have to start the program on the 3rd column of the first side). The church
computer can't print in tabloid, so we used to send it to the secretary on
legal size and have her enlarge it on the copier. She was out sick for a
little, so I sent the to a local print shop of tabloid size and had him
make us one copy, which we then duplicated at church with one of the
non-office types doing the work. (As it turns out, you can put more on a
tabloid size sheet than on a legal sheet to enlarge - so I am now doing the
trifolds on tabloid and having the print shop do us a master each week;
cost is about .35¢ for the master)

Services that have a lot in them like Palm Sunday, Easter, and the like get
everything in them including all the music. They go in a booklet made on
tabloid paper, 2 letter size pages on each side.

P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted