[Magdalen] Prayers - breakthrough in work conflict

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 15:23:31 UTC 2016

Further thanks, everyone - and Jim, you are so right! Even just imagining
myself taking a strong step not to be yelled at makes me feel better.
Unfortunately, this guy doesn't have a manager - he's in private practice
which is why there's a background of financial pressure for him.

This morning in the bath (having had a much better night's sleep), it
suddenly occured to me that I could ask my boss, a senior OT, to intervene
directly, come to the hospital and speak to the patient's mother, who's
there every day with her (they come from another province).

It's not only that psych is now a problem, our regular OT has been on leave
and there's been a few stand-ins. So given the complexity of the case
clinically and the lack (so far) of the clear, helpful narrative that we
usually like to hand over to the rehab unit, I think it would not seem
strange to the patient or her mother if a manager shows up from our side to
review the situation. I think they would feel cared about and important.

It would also give them a chance to have a say/raise complaints about
either of us psychologists, without feeling interrogated, and will mean
that I am not the only one who's heard, first hand, about the reasons for
therapy breakdown.

So I've sent her an email and hope it will be well received...she's a bit
of a workaholic, like me, so won't mind being emailed on a holiday weekend
(tomorrow is Human Rights Day, a public holiday). And she could certainly
charge overtime if she goes because the hospital manager told her to sort
it out...

I'm very thankful that the patient's mother has been with her since all
this started. That means that my boss can speak to her and get the story
without stirring up any inner conflicts if there are any to stir up.

I feel so much better. A blessed Palm Sunday to all....Blessed is S/He who
comes in the name of the Lord, be it on the foal of a donkey, or in my
email inbox!!

BTW, I suddenly realised this morning that one of the great unsung miracles
of Jesus, would be getting on a colt that's never been ridden and not being
immediately thrown off.

Sally D