[Magdalen] weather + garden

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 02:25:12 UTC 2016

Be still my heart - morels  and marigolds !
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 21, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

I much prefer the Pennsylvania spring to what passes for  spring
in Northern Wisconsin.  I do miss the orderly progression of  spring
phenomena that played out each spring in my ten acres in  Wisconsin
each spring, however.  I'm sure all of these phenomena occur  in
Pennsylvania, too, but I don't have the ability to note them first  hand.
PA springs are much more gradual, and showier with the enormous
progression of flowering trees and shrubs, nearly all of which are  not
hardy in the Upper Midwest.

At my Wisconsin location, the earliest spring harbingers were in the  nearly
an acre of rich, deep, boggy soil with a remarkable assemblage  of
"Jack in the Pulpits" and "Swamp Cabbage."

Then there were waves of triliums of the white variety and the  "Nodding
Triliums," also white, followed by drifts of "Bloodroot."  Finally,  there
were
extensive "Marsh Marigolds" with their yellow blossoms.

There were the two gastronomical spring specialties:  "Morel  Mushrooms"
by the bushel (great for soups) and "Watercress" with its delicate  peppery
flavor, and also much treasured for soups.  The Watercress was  courtesy
of a spring fed ice cold creek that emerged out of the ground on  my
property.  The  property was interlaced with mowed trails that  were much
beloved by humans and their dogs.

A la reserche du temps perdu.

David Strang.