[Magdalen] We told them so...

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 03:54:13 UTC 2016

I spent my entire nursing career working in non-union facilities in "right
to work" (or as my late ex termed them, "right to slave" states). Only once
did I ever work in a unionized facility, as a traveler, and I could see
right away how it benefited the nurses.

Yes, there *is* the ANA. Don't even mention them to me. They are the voice
of management and don't give a flying Wallenda about the nurse on the floor
who is busting his or her butt taking care of the patients on a (usually)
understaffed unit. In recent years there has arisen the National Nurses'
Union (NNU) but they came along too late to be much help to me. I really
heard very little from them until the whole Ebola business came along. They
are much more oriented toward the actual caregiving nurse. If I were still
working I would be a dues-paying member, even though Virginia is a RTW
state, because the NNU has *my* interests at heart and isn't kissing up to
management.