[Magdalen] Odd patrons at local eatery

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:15:08 UTC 2016

I've had a Pileated hanging around near the house for about three weeks.  For some unaccountable reason, he spends a lot of time in the top of a large holly tree, eating the berries. This is quite a feat, because those little top branches can't really support him. So there's much scrabbling and flapping to keep his balance. The large maple on the other side of the house would seem to be much more hospitable, as there are nice holes in the dead branches, suet feeders and sunflower seed feeders. He will occasionally show up over there, but seems to prefer the holly tree. Maybe it's because there are two other species of woodpeckers that also nest in the maple.
And, of course, Woody Woodpecker was a Pileated!