[Magdalen] Christ is risen!

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Mon May 2 17:28:05 UTC 2016

I believe the Billings Easter Anthem would be a perfectly appropriate "kontsiert" at the Divine Liturgy. It is a bit exuberant, it could be a companion piece to the Folk-Lore Galician Christos Voskres--the two are in the same spirit. How about an Eastern Sacred Harp with the Mennonites learning (or remembering) the Ukrainian item I just mentioned and some Carpatho Rusyn Americans learning the Billings. The Eastern church has an a capella tradition. It does not have to be all Slavic, or southern European!

  The "Kontsiert" is a choral anthem sung during the Priest's Communion before the distribution. Borniansky wrote his "Sacred Concerto's" for this occasion. They are often in sonata-allegro form.  Some have objected that they may be too theatrical-- the singing of psalms vss with the Communion verse is also used at this time. Moving the Kontsiert to a choral postlude sounds like a good compromise.

Joe