[Magdalen] Christ is risen!

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:16:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Joseph Cirou <romanos at mindspring.com>
wrote:

> I believe the Billings Easter Anthem would be a perfectly appropriate
> "kontsiert" at the Divine Liturgy. It is a bit exuberant, it could be a
> companion piece to the Folk-Lore Galician Christos Voskres--the two are in
> the same spirit. How about an Eastern Sacred Harp with the Mennonites
> learning (or remembering) the Ukrainian item I just mentioned and some
> Carpatho Rusyn Americans learning the Billings. The Eastern church has an a
> capella tradition. It does not have to be all Slavic, or southern European!

Brings to mind something that happened in 1971 (I think). I was part of a
group of 4 Sacred Harp Singers from Georgia that were singing at Terre des
Homme in Montreal. One of the artists for the week was an American of
Ukranian descent who painted the eggs (Psanky). Her son (with her for the
week) was in seminary. He heard us and wanted us to sing one of the songs
he was working on (a transfiguration hymn). Only 2 of us read "round"
notes. I took the piece back to the hotel that evening and wrote it off
into shapes and the group read it the first time.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted

Virus-free.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>