[Magdalen] Another question

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:49:51 UTC 2016

I have noticed a lot of problems with FB's new privacy policy, which is
essentially assuming that you let everyone see everything you've got unless
you say no.  You can go to the settings area of FB and look over the
privacy settings and set them for NO in any topic or subsection that you
would hypothetically not want others to see.  With various things you can
choose who gets to see them:
Nobody, friends, and some other parameters that, as I recall, are pretty
straightforward.  Pay special attention to privacy settings with portable
or other devices (which is where your kindle comes in).

The rule of thumb is that you should never ever post any information to any
electronic medium you would not want the world to see, because that is very
possibly what is going to happen.  Pictures you intend for some person or
persons should never go on FB, which is not reliable anyway.  You should
send those the old-fashioned way -- via email -- or print them out and send
them via snail mail. The latter may be a bit more work, but it's secure.
And, now that I think of it, snail mail is truly the OldFashioned Way.

If you see something that should not be there (whether it's yours or
anyone's) there is a means to flag it in FB.  That might not be a bad idea,
since a human will see that and make some decision about it, and you might
get some feedback on ways to protect yourself better.  As bad as FB might
be in the eyes of some, it is truly intent on not causing offense and
anger, so if you give the opportunity, they will probably at least point
you to a url of a site where you can get the info you need.  And who knows?
Someone in the know might actually help you fix your problem.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford