[Magdalen] Copenhagen.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:15:47 UTC 2016

Danish sounds a lot like German, but it just makes no sense to speak of to
my German ears.  My wife was at a needlework shop and suddenly she realized
she understood a conversation quite well.  "Golly, I am getting the hang of
this!!" she thought.  Then she realized that the customer was a tourist
from someplace like Luebeck, and they were actually speaking German.  The
Danes speak German, just as they speak English, French, etc., etc. "We know
you cannot ever master our language, so just let us speak yours," I have
heard from numerous folks, including my (former) sister-in-law (before she
did her Glen Close impersonation, phew!).

I was delighted and grateful that nobody made a big thing about our nutty
putative president at that time.  It was a really embarrassing time to be
from the USA and not be able to claim Canadian citizenship!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford