[Magdalen] Would you prefer the collision coverage or a knee to the groin?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:44:50 UTC 2016

Wow, did I get an ultra-hard sell today at our neighborhood Enterprise
car rental office. I'm renting a car to visit Mom in Michigan. I
typically decline all the insurance coverages, as the Visa card I'm
using covers collision damage. Generally I get an "Are you sure?" and
a standard tiny lecture about the benefits of coverage and dangers of
declining it. "No, thanks" is generally enough. Today's agent had me
sit in the car for this whole bit (the better to stand above me) and
asked, "How will you protect my car?" I was a bit slow in responding,
so again I heard, "HOW WILL YOU PROTECT MY CAR?" I said, "Through the
coverage available on my Visa credit card. Of course this was
unacceptable, and I was told, "This is unprecedented. No one declines
all the coverage." I said, "I think many people decline coverage, and
I've never had this hard sell before." The response was, "You're all
set. Have a nice trip."

I'll complain, of course. All I'd like to make up for this is a few
extra hours on Monday, as I'll be returning the car a bit late anyway.
I also am not thrilled with the several notations with exclamation
points all over the form, saying NO COVERAGE!!!!

So begins the week of reluctant travel. It'll be great to see my mom,
and great to sing in her church choir with her (I know she's been
hoping we could do this...the director invites me, and normally I say
I don't want to do so without having been to a rehearsal, but I'll do
it this Mothers' Day). Then home, then off to our Benedictine
convocation; normally I wouldn't go in May, just November, but my dear
partner will be taking his first vows.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA