[Magdalen] Flowers That Bloom in May.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon May 9 21:52:21 UTC 2016

Floral Musings -

We've had ten days of rain so the ground is soaked for spring  planting.
Other Half has decided he wants to try the deciduous azaleas  available
for this area.  Actually, there are some native deciduous azaleas,  but
how they survive the Whitetailed deer is a mystery.  We have wire  netting
and fencing at the ready for this project.  I've tried them before and  the
deer had them munched in a flash.

There are a variety of evergreen azaleas that do well here, and I just
noticed
that they are stunning up against the foundation of the house this year -
reds, pinks, and white flowers.

The little leafed rhododendrons such as the PJM's are past peak and  were
spectacular this spring.

I'm eyeing the Piedmont rhodies that have the largest buds I've ever seen
here.
They were mostly planted out under the trees in 1988, and some of  them
are 20 ft x 20 ft., especially the Nova Zemblas.  The Zemblas must  have
some genes from that largest of the rhododendron genus which bears a
brilliant red flower and gets to be EIGHTY FEET tall in Asia.  Give  them
a couple of weeks.

Redbud is not native here in the Poconos, is are hardy.  Ours is  blooming
for the first time this year out under a large Flowering Dogwood.   It's a
thrill.

David Strang.