[Magdalen] First fruits

Susan Hagen susanvhagen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 00:04:50 UTC 2016

The squirrels, or as they are called around here, tree rats, are
legion.  Some of my neighbors do not like them but I enjoy the furry
bandits.  They are a nuisance but I grew up in a neighborhood with
many oaks and many squirrels and I like watching them.  My granddad
always took me out for a walk to look at the squirrels.  I believe
that he had a hunter's interest in them but he did not burden me with
that.  I never thought that cats could actually catch a squirrel but I
raked a number of tails out of the basement along with some other
leavings this winter.  My yard has a lot of fruit and nuts for them to
eat so I think it will be a long time before anything could deplete
their numbers.