[Magdalen] Everett @ the DMV.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:15:26 UTC 2016

I've long been in favor of a mandatory term of public service of the young
person's choice--could be military, or something like CCC, police or fire
cadets, teacher corps (as in teacher's aides), heath care (CNAs, EMTs
etc.), VISTA, Peace Corps, and the like.....a vast umbrella of public
service type things could be included, and no exemptions for anyone other
than the most severely disabled. There is room for practically everyone to
serve. It should be done after HS and before college or employment. I think
it would go a long way toward maturing young people. Of course special
interests will keep that from happening, but it's a nice dream. In the
sci-fi novel I've been plotting, it's fact.