[Magdalen] Everett @ the DMV.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:53:51 UTC 2016

Christopher>why are only men required to register for the selective service?

Good point Christopher. I'm not sure if the ability for women to serve in
combat will change that as I think that is still *voluntary* once they've
enlisted, but maybe that will move women closer to this requirement of
registering because if they can serve in combat (even if by choice) they can
be counted -- or GOD forbid, another draft - I'm sure *all* able bodied
young men and women would be required in that case. I do think that having a
draft wakes most people up to the real tragedies of combat and possibly
tempers the citizenry to pay closer attention to what and especially whom
are being sacrificed for the sake of the situation.  The all volunteer army,
conceived  of in my kids lifetime  was during a time of relative peace
between our country and the world. I believe that the final tweaking of the
draft to the lottery system in '70 was the real beginning of the end to the
"Vietnam conflict".... no more deferments. I wonder if there is a list
somewhere of the deferments available from the '50s  through the roll out of
the lottery system? I know that parenthood, college enrollment and certain
jobs like teaching and going into the ministry (that's a whole 'nother story
when I look at many clergy of all denominations who may have taken that
route... interesting reflection on 'vocation', call, and safety)  were all
deferred well into the '60s.  WE don't see nearly as many men teaching in
primary or secondary education as we did when I was growing up.

This war has seen so much personal devastation in the middle east to lives,
to geography and to city structures, it is inconceivable that it will be
made right any time soon.  And then there are our returning servicemen,
mostly such a low profile but so much that is mostly known only to friends
and family of the vets - so much debilitating physical and mental impairment
and now, more publicized the suicide rate... coupled with what seems like
the worst care and management of the VA in my lifetime.  I have friends who
were career men in Navy and Army. To hear what is happening to retirees and
their benefits both medical and financial defies reason.   Ok... rant mode
off. Sad just thinking about all of this.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr